forum.dwylbtzle.info Forum Index
forum.dwylbtzle.info Forum Index
forum.dwylbtzle.info
FREE-RANGE FLOYD-FREAK ASYLUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

We did it! 3of4 Cannabis initiatives passed in Hailey, Idaho
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.dwylbtzle.info Forum Index -> Everything Else
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dwylbtzle

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah
I
(like, I suppose, most people who discovered frank zappa, in the late sixties or early seventies)
originally thought those freaks musta been the biggest stoners on the Earth
and when I first heard zappa claim he never used any drugs
not even pot
i figured he must just be being smart
and denying it
but was lying

but, apparently, if you even got caught coming to practices stoned
you coulda got kicked out of the band
at first, I thought that was really weird

then, I started to appreciate the mathematics in some of that complex music he was coming out with
and I realized a bunch of people stoned on pot
and other dopiates
would never have written it
and could never have played it
especially live

I ended up seeing him, live, four times
and, take it from me,
those guys were NEVER just phoning it in
those performances were flawless

Dwylbtzle

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guys and one gal Laughing
every concert-he had a completely different line-up, in the band
but one time
he had some of the guys from the original 1966 band
whom he called THE GRANDMOTHERS
and he had Ian Underwood-AND his wife

Ian played all kindza electified woodwinds
she was playing xylophone and "traps"
(triangles, and bells, and cowbells, and various percussion instruments, etc)
that was about the best of the four shows--the most complex shit of all
they pulled out all the stops
they were such maniacs
i don't think they NEEDED drugs

Spirit Catcher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the changes will do some good.
Dwylbtzle

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when we didn't know if anything would pass
I was telling myself that
even if nothing did pass
at least we made it so no mere town council could stop anyone from flying a citizens' initiative

but, I gotta admit....
after three years
it sure was nice to get even ONE victory
and THREE was fabulous!
it STILL hasn't totally hit me

no-one ever thought this, alone, would really make pot legal
but a judge has to strike it down AFTER the ballot initiative PASSES

now--thanks to us,
no one can stop an initiative just because they don't like the contents of it
BEFORE IT'S EVEN VOTED ON! Evil or Very Mad
EVEN if it's illegal at the state or federal level

we truly made jurisprudence history
for the whole nation

the whole idea was to allow the people to speak out about laws that are counterproductive
or just plain stupid

Dwylbtzle

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it occurs to me that those links might not be up on the web forever
so here's everything that's been printed
all comments so far
and all

so, some of this stuff is already repeated in this thread

this is from the Idaho Mountain express:
Hailey voters say ‘yes’ to marijuana reforms

Results likely to lead to more litigation

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By TERRY SMITH
Express Staff Writer

Hailey's electorate approved three of four marijuana legalization or reform initiatives in a city election Tuesday, Nov. 6.

Voter returns that came in late Tuesday night showed close voting but approval of initiatives to legalize medical use of marijuana, to make enforcement of marijuana laws the city's lowest police priority and to legalize industrial use of hemp.

The initiative that failed would have mandated the city to regulate and tax marijuana sales and to establish a Community Oversight Committee to iron out the details for legalization.

The three approved initiatives also require the Community Oversight Committee to work out the details for implementation. The initiatives further require that the city of Hailey lobby other branches of government for the reform of marijuana laws.

The taxation and regulation initiative failed by a vote of 573-674, while the marijuana medical initiative passed by a vote of 687-581.

Hailey voters favored the police priority initiative by a margin of 637-601. The industrial hemp measure passed by 683-565.

Hailey City Clerk Heather Dawson said 1,288 voters of the city's 3,494 registered electorate turned out to vote in Tuesday's election.

Ryan Davidson, chairman of The Liberty Lobby of Idaho and the man who got the initiatives on the Hailey ballot, could not be reached for comment late Tuesday but said earlier that he was confident the initiatives would succeed.

The vote on the initiatives culminated more than three years of work on Davidson's behalf to put legalization issues before voters in the Wood River Valley. He started the project in August of 2004 when he presented initiating petitions for legalization to the cities of Hailey, Sun Valley and Ketchum. All three entities denied his petitions and a series of court actions ensued.

In September 2006, Davidson won a major victory when the Idaho Supreme Court ruled that municipalities do not have the right to determine the constitutionality of proposed initiatives. With that victory in hand, Davidson renewed his legalization efforts in 2007 and successfully landed the four initiatives on this year's Hailey general election ballot.

He continues to work his proposed initiatives in Ketchum and Sun Valley and hopes to have them on ballots in those cities as early as the primary elections in May of 2008.

His work in the Wood River Valley is part of a larger grassroots effort to reform marijuana laws statewide.

Meanwhile, the Idaho Attorney General's Office has declined to say what it will do if any of the Hailey initiatives pass, but issued a statement last week reminding voters that possession of marijuana is a crime under both state and federal law.

City Attorney Ned Williamson predicted prior to the election that the city will be subjected to future litigation if the initiatives pass and said that the costs could be high for Hailey taxpayers.

print version email

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Leave a Comment

Show: Sort: Newest first Oldest first
There are 9 comments

The comments below are from the readers of mtexpress.com and in no way represent the views of Express Publishing Inc.

Greg Francisco 11/07/07 - 05:04
Common sense and American values triumph in Idaho. Thank you voters of Hailey.

After 70 years of cannabis prohibition the only success the professional prohibitionists can point to is a guarantee of lifetime employment to those doing the prohibiting.

Drug abuse is bad, the War on Drugs, Inc. is worse, Prohibition is the cure that is worse than the disease.

Legalize, regulate, tax, control. There is a better way.

roy sandefur – hailey idaho 11/07/07 - 06:19
we're world famous
and we changed the world
I like it
no
DO NOT SMOKE POT, KIDS
it's illegal
and bad for yer lungs
and not conducive to yer task of growing up
BY YER WITS!
you are straightly charged!

the idaho liberty lobby
is three people
ryan davidson
robert blakely
and myself
no lawyer

ryan was our law scholar
a yeoman's effort

no town council dare deign to assume they are the gatekeepers of the initiative process
so sayeth the supreme court

AS IS MEET

Arne Ryason 11/07/07 - 09:58
The fourth issue failed because cannabis should not be taxed! Get it off the streets, away from kids. Eliminate the black market by allowing adult users to grow their own indoors in a secure location. Man cannot tax what God has created for us! "The Lord said ..Afore harvest, when the bud is perfect and the sour grape is ripening in the flower, he shall cut off the sprigs with pruning hooks and take away and cut down the branches." (Isaiah 18:4-5)

carson clark – pocatello 11/07/07 - 10:01
Thank you Ryan Davidson for your brave and undeterd efforts in all of our favors You have shown that the American way is still alive and thriving despite of our current administration I applaude you as do many others

Reply to carson clark
L – hailey 11/07/07 - 14:23
What a Hero.............

roy sandefur – hailey idaho 11/09/07 - 05:43
This comment has been removed.

The Administrator says:

All cap messages are not permitted.

All caps signifies yelling or screaming.

Be polite or be removed

roy sandefur – hailey idaho 11/09/07 - 13:06
blog.sunvalleyonline.com
more

roy sandefur – hailey idaho 11/09/07 - 13:32
the caps were not intentional
worst typist in the world
looked up
and i had hit the caps button accidentally
so i left it all caps
no screaming or disrespect intended
my apologies
text and explanation here:
forum.dwylbtzle.info
come discuss this more here

you can all scream all you want
he heee heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

roy sandefur – hailey idaho 11/10/07 - 05:24
like my brother
most people with cancer
(possibly getting chemo-therapy)
can not eat
almost all cancer victims ACTUALLY DIE from starvation

just being sick from the cancer kills yer apetite
and then the chemo makes you so nauseous
you can't keep anything down
even if you WERE hungry

pot makes you hungry
and stops the nausea
and hemp oil raises yer immunity higher than any known substance
because the vital lipids are in perfect ballance
despite what anyone says
science has NOT come up with any substitute that works as well as pot for doing these things
without cannabis
my brother would have starved
that's all there is to it

Last edited by Dwylbtzle on Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dwylbtzle

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is from sunvalleyonline.com:

The Liberty Lobby and the Big Picture View
There is a scene in the movie, “The Fugitive”, in which Tommy Lee Jones is chasing the fugitive doctor played by Harrison Ford, through a giant culvert. Just before jumping, Ford turns and exclaims, “I did not kill my wife!” Jones says, “I don’t care!” I have always loved that simple scene. It illustrates perfectly how some people perceive the law and law enforcement and it also illustrates how law enforcement often sees itself. We don’t make the laws, we simply enforce them. Law enforcers are a tool. There would be no point in passing laws without an enforcement tool.

So it was with great interest that I have watched the efforts of the Liberty Lobby. They have actually had to sue to get an initiative placed on a ballot. Once that was finally done, local officials and one in particular, tried to torpedo that effort with scare tactics in the form of an editorial printed in the Mountain Express. Sore losers, I suppose. Imagine free speech and the democratic process winning out over the will of a few people who think they know what is best for us. Wow, isn’t that why we left England in the first place? Yes, Greg, once in awhile the system does work.

Now just in case anyone thinks I have lost my mind while rolling a doobie here in Wichita Falls, Tx., let me assure you that is simply not the case. I have enough problems without adding another one to my personal list of accomplishments. What I am in favor of, is the people’s right to initiate legislation, to be heard, to vote. That is why we are all here in the first place. If we wanted the law dictated to us, or to be told what is best for us, we probably should have stayed put. Magna Carta, boat rides, and revolution be damned.

So for me, the real danger is that the process itself is in great jeopardy. I witnessed this first hand when Idaho politicians reversed the will of the people when voting to repeal the term limit initiative and got away with it. I witnessed this type of influence wielding again locally with this initiative.

You don’t have to like the subject matter of any particular initiative. But what you do have to like is a fair process for determining the outcome. That’s the idea. So as soon as I got up today, I read the election results. Quite honestly, I was a little surprised to see that only 3 of the 4 ballot initiatives passed. When you’ve lived in a place as long as I have, and you are in a position to see all that I have seen or known, it’s almost like having inside information. Law enforcers enforce the will of the people. They don’t particularly care, nor is it their duty, to decide what is best or most representative for the rest of us. So like Jones, were I still around, and asked what I thought of that vote, I might very well say, “I don’t care.” Having heard me say this, some might even call for my head. But I understand my role and what’s important. I congratulate the Liberty Lobby for the guts to doggedly pursue this in the face or so many that would have you go away. I also want to congratulate everyone who had the guts to run for public office. A personal thank you for caring about the welfare of your cities. There is nothing wrong with that at all.

This entry was posted on Wednesday, November 7th, 2007 at 9:24 am by Brian McNary and is filed under Uncategorized. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

47 Responses to “The Liberty Lobby and the Big Picture View”
Greg Farber Says:

November 7th, 2007 at 10:13 am
Yes Brian, this 14th Amendment De-facto system once in a while tosses us ex-De-Jure Sovereign nationals, of the many Republics across this land, now known as u.s. citizens under a de-facto dictator, a bone.

Stay tuned bro, Im gonna pound your commercial code in my next blog, proving with Congressional globes and the George town law Journal that it is in fact the Babylonian code.

Keep working on position, before the hit, must I fly down there to help that golf game of yours…. Peace.

merrily eckel Says:

November 7th, 2007 at 10:44 am
Para 2 - line one TENSES - so it WAS with great interest that I HAVE watched (choose is for have or was for had)
Para 3 line 4 - no comma after “of”
Para 5 Typo (or for of )
Magna Charta

spend more time distilling your message
limit yourself to two points maximum
draw no more than two lines to a point
use your words as Zorro uses his cape

thats about it from here!
M

JBanholzer Says:

November 7th, 2007 at 10:55 am
Perhaps the ‘Business License Required’ signs at Hailey’s entrances should be amended to say, “Welcome to Hailey, Idaho” “A friendly town, where doobies are Police’s lowest priority”

Arne Ryason Says:

November 7th, 2007 at 11:35 am
I think the fourth issue failed because cannabis should not be taxed. It was a strange proposal. The other three made sense.

Here’s what would make sense: If cannabis is legalized for personal use, adult users should be allowed to grow their own, indoors in a locked room or closet. This would drop the street price to zero, eliminate the black market and keep kids from using the stuff. Only after this is accomplished should we consider a “taxed and regulated” market for the stuff.

On the subject of medical cannabis, look at the “logic” the Supreme Court used in this case: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gonzales_v._Raich . Although the cannabis and everything used to grow it were produced in the state of California, these activities affected the interstate price of cannabis and, even though it is an illegal market, the US government can “regulate” it through the commerce clause of the US Constitution AND that wonderful thing, the 14th Amendment!

Nowadays the DEA doesn’t arrest medical marijuana patients in states where it is “legal,” they just take away their medicine and watch them die. It’s bad PR to handcuff someone to their wheelchair or hospital bed. After all, their just protecting us from ourselves.

Arne Ryason Says:

November 7th, 2007 at 11:36 am
Oops! “they’re,” not “their” … My bad…

Greg Farber Says:

November 7th, 2007 at 3:01 pm
Further more Brian I would suggest you read the Proceedings and debates of the 76th congress, third session. you find that merry old England got her Colony back lock stock and barrel. Its the steps toward a British Union, World State, and International Strife. please read the remarks of the Hon. J. Thorkelson of your home state of Montana, in the house of Representatives monday, August 19, 1940. If you would like a copy just e-mail me bro and I will place it in your little tool at the end of your arm. We in fact are a British Colony, they stole her back Brian. Pitty you didnt notice. Tally ho good chap, I will be going about my business now. Oh before I forget, thanks for being a good tool. GOD SAVE THE QUEEN.

Steve Linden Says:

November 7th, 2007 at 11:45 pm
seems to me that all y’all been hanging out at zaney’s too much.
let’s step back and look at what we’re REALLY talking about.

SOME would like to cause you to THINK that these issues are about basic values like certain freedoms, constitutional amendments, human rights, etc. blah blah. what this “issue” really is about is some dopey guy spending bucks out of the city of Hailey’s stash.

do you guys really want to say it’s ok for dope to be a part of your community? if so, what else is ok?

it reminds me of some old “B” movie where the owner of a car dealership
asks his wife, “are you f***ing the salesman?”
and she replies, “just a little”.

what has really happened as a result of these elections is that the “liberty lobby” (which consists of one very conceptually confused / cannabis enthused individual) is now ready to take the citizens of Hailey on a little magical mystery tour which will cost dearly in the long run.

and by the way, you never really had a choice in the matter anyway.
but now you will pay to find that out.

as dopey as it sounds, very little was mentioned about this by the persons running for City of Hailey offices.

open up the tired eyes.

Greg Farber Says:

November 8th, 2007 at 8:04 am
Steve

Dope has been a part of the community for a very long time, yes marijuana can and has been abused by some humans, I agree, kids should not smoke it. maybe you should look at the statistic’s of Alcohol abuse versus Marijuana abuse. Some humans abuse the right to drink booze, cause bad crashes with cars, cause deaths, destroy their own lives and make their familys miserable. The legal use of booze is responsible for far more problems with health issues as well, like liver and kidney damage. seems to me booze is the more dangerous and lethal of the two. Also Law enforcement busts a kid with a doobie and he is tarred for life, I think we can do with out that nonsense in the future. Its called growing up.

If you like big brother holding your hand and baby sitting you fine, I would rather Blah Blah Blah about personal freedom and responsibility for my own actions and get this baby sitter outta my way. Ryan did not do all this foot work and legal wrangling to get this far with his project with a doobie hanging out of his lips, I dare to venture a guess that he has not been near the stuff, wouldnt it be stupid to get busted with dope, hemp, rope, Ganji, mary jane, while attempting to open this door of free choice. Then Ryan could have said all that hard work up in smoke.

I got to hand it to you Steve, when you go for the cheap shot at least you use subliminal class and deception with your preconceived unbalanced notions, at least its a step above the spell checkers who also have no valuable input on society itself, so they opt to grade our typo, grammer, and spelling to discredit, aint America just a great dumb ole place.

P.S. Where the heck is Zaneys, If Ive been hangin out their I reckon I should no where it is. LMAO.

Leslie Haramis Says:

November 8th, 2007 at 9:37 am
Regardless of what your opinion is of legalizing marijuana, the “Liberty Lobbyists” were in absolute violation of electionering, which I might add is totally illegal. I personally witnessed minors displaying cannibis campaign material not 60 feet from the gynasium doors where the election booths were set up. It’s is pretty pathetic when adults have to solicit minors to do their illegal doings. Other individuals were handing out cannibis campaign material just outside the main doors of the Community Campus. The pamphlets were professionally made and obviously the work of “Liberty Lobbyists”. Mr. “Liberty Lobbyist” was loitering in the Community Campus most of the afternoon. Hailey Campaign, you think you can live outside the law, oh I guess not…you’ll just change it!

Arne P. Ryason Says:

November 8th, 2007 at 9:44 am
Greg - Zaney’s is on North River St., Just past Carbonate on the east side of the road. They and many other shops around here serve a xanthine alkaloid compound that acts as a psychoactive stimulant in humans. It causes me to become agitated and depressed in the afternoon if I drink it in the morning. For me it is “dope” of the worst kind, and I can’t drink it due to its nasty side effects. It ought to be banned, based on my reaction to it. I have also observed a few other humans with similar reactions. Because it is a stimulant, it might be a “gateway” drug to other stimulants, such as methamphetamine.

Instead of worrying about whether or not to legalize cannabis, we should take a look at all the legal “dope” everyone consumes every day and either ban or allow each substance based on actual harm instead of something as arbitrary as historical societal acceptance.

References:
‘ There are four caffeine-induced psychiatric disorders recognized by the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition: caffeine intoxication, caffeine-induced anxiety disorder, caffeine-induced sleep disorder, and caffeine-related disorder not otherwise specified (NOS). ‘
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caffeine

‘ Among 12-to 17-year-olds with no other problem behaviors, those who drank alcohol and smoked cigarettes at least once in the past month are 30 times likelier to smoke marijuana than those who didn’t. ‘
‘ The term gateway drug is used to describe a lower classed drug that can lead to the use of “harder”, more dangerous drugs. The term is also used to describe introductory experiences to “addictive” experiences, such as a child’s consumption of drinks containing caffeine. ‘
http://www.answers.com/topic/gateway-drug?cat=health

Dave Enright Says:

November 8th, 2007 at 11:18 am
Leslie,
Just a clarifying question: How do you know that the “minors” you saw were solicited? Seems to me like quite a few minors may have wanted the initiatives to pass but were not able to vote themselves? I was just wondering how you knew their help was solicited?

David Stilwill Says:

November 8th, 2007 at 2:18 pm
It appears as if Denver, CO also passed a similar measure-
http://cfapp2.rockymountainnews.com/election/profiles/2007/i_profile.cfm?id=15133&action=res

and Colorado state denied a similar measure-
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/10268778/detail.html

Greg Farber Says:

November 8th, 2007 at 2:54 pm
Ahh, thank you Arne, I dont fraternize Cafes and the like as the wonderful tasty foods they offer are full of Toxic Chemical preservatives such as MSG, Aspartame ( which is not just in Soda, but some manufactured foods as well). Sucralose, Splenda, Nitrites, Nitrates, Nutra-sweet and all those other long names most folks can not even read or pronounce. Funny isnt it, The FDA says eat all that Toxic crap, Smoke that tobaco, its ok, we are working on cures for Cancer, Heart disease, Alzheimers, Lou Gehrig’s disease, Parkinsons. among other health problems caused by the items mentioned above, you can even get more drugs to help your death along even faster from your local Pharmacy, right after the good ole Doc writes you up an ok to get poisened by big Pharma note, a prescription I believe, never had one my self. Watch out for that deadly Marijuana though, I understand it makes you sleep walk, and eat massive amounts of food, Oh my God Ive been Thunderstuck.

Yes my little Kiddies eat the poisen and listen to me hee hee haa haa, dont touch that evil plant hee hee haa haa Im your uncle Sammy and Im lookin out for number 1 hee hee haa haa, I’ll look out for you later ho ho ho and a bottle of rum, all me kiddies their so dumb.

Leslie Haramis Says:

November 8th, 2007 at 4:52 pm
Dave E,
Good question and I am not 100% certain! But as I mentioned the brochures were not high school caliber but professionally made brochures and maybe they did volunteer to do the deed. Regardless, it is not appropriate, nor legal at any age. If Mr. Liberty Lobbyist was doing his civic duty he would conduct his campaign in a responsible fashion. The results should be contested.

Dave Enright Says:

November 8th, 2007 at 5:01 pm
I agree that it was not legal or correct what you saw the minors doing and I’m sorry, I thought you said different people were handing out the brochures. Just playing devils advocate here I’ve seen my 16 year old nephew do some pretty nifty publishing for projects and things he wants to sell. What if “Mr. Liberty Lobbyist” didn’t ask the kids for help? (Although I’m sure he didn’t miond it if he knew about it )

A.M. Says:

November 8th, 2007 at 5:42 pm
I see the grammar police have invaded the forum. You know language is in flux, right–like water it’s always moving and when it stops moving, it becomes stagnant. Still, if you are going to start policing, you should arm yourself a bit more sturdily. To wit, Merrily, it actually is Magna Carta, and not Magna Charta as you suggest. And I believe that the ‘of’ in Paragraph 5 is supposed to be an ‘of’, and not an ‘or,’ as you likewise suggested.

Some advice of my own? Read your posts carefully before submitting and try not to go off half-cocked or prepare to look foolish. Never limit your points to simply two when the argument might be a great deal more complex–the subject takes what it takes. And, since language is moving forward–try to use metaphors that are not cliche. Then your prose will be remembered for its freshness.

JBanholzer Says:

November 8th, 2007 at 5:44 pm
Steve,

I believe that the B movie you reefered to was “Cadillac Man” featuring Robin Williams.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099204/

It is recommended that this movie be watched in a theatre, which allows open smoking of good hemp, because otherwise –you are right, it will not normally be perceived as being very funny.

Not sure, where the closest outdoor amphitheatre is that might allow this…

Greg Farber Says:

November 8th, 2007 at 6:33 pm
A.M. your almost correct Magna Carta has been spelled both ways as you show in many historical documents Carta. Charta, actually being the correct version originally.

JBanholzer Says:

November 8th, 2007 at 11:14 pm
For those of you just waking up the tired eyes, now is a good time to read some of these good arguments for keeping hard coffee legal in Hailey proper:

http://www.erowid.org/experiences/subs/exp_Caffeine.shtml

-Or not…

Remember the old saying? “The Zany Barista Tully Starbucks Grinds Company JAVA for Golden Cowboys at Uptown Hitchracks.”

Which reminds me; with this many Baristas dripping upstream, did anyone inquire at the last H2o meeting about scrutinizing our effluent for elevated caffeine levels?

ROY SANDEFUR Says:

November 9th, 2007 at 8:38 am
we’re world famous
and we changed the world
I like it
no
DO NOT SMOKE POT, KIDS
it’s illegal
and bad for yer lungs
and not conducive to yer task of growing up
BY YER WITS!
you are straightly charged!

the idaho liberty lobby
is three people
ryan davidson
robert blakely
and myself
no lawyer

ryan was our law scholar
a yeoman’s effort

no town council dare deign to assume they are the gatekeepers of the initiative process
so sayeth the supreme court

AS IS MEET

WE PURPOSELY PUT THE TAX AND REGULATE THING IN THERE
SO PEOPLE WOULD HAVE SOMETHING TO VOTE AGAINST
I’M KINDA GLAD IT LOST
THOUGH
IF IT WERE TREATED LIKE ALCOHOL….
ASK ANY KID UNDER 18:
WHICH IS HARDER TO GET?
ALCOHOL
OR ANY ILLEGAL DRUG?

ANY KID WILL TELL YOU THAT WOULD BE ALCOHOL
YOU HAVE TO ACCOST AN ADULT, OUTSIDE THE LIQUOR STORE
IN FRONT OF GOD, AND EVERYBODY,
AND BEG HIM TO RISK HIS LIFE BY SCORING FOR YOU
WHEN HE HAS NO SANE REASON TO DO SO
GLAD WE’RE ON THE SAME PAGE ABOUT THE KIDS, THOUGH
KIDS NOWADAYS BETTER KEEP THEIR WITS ABOUT THEM
POT AND DRUGS AND BOOZE RENDER YOU WITLESS

SOMEONE TELL NED THE CITY ATTORNEY THAT IF HE’S SO WORRIED ABOUT MONEY…
SO FAR
THE ONLY EXPENSIVE COURT CASES YOU’VE FACED WERE THE THREE YEARS OF CASES YOU FORCED US TO BRING AGAINST YOU
BECAUSE YOU
AND THE CITY CLERK
AND THE TOWN COUNCIL
VIOLATED OUR RIGHTS TO FREE SPEECH
AND TO PETITION THE GOVERNMENT
AND
NOW
FIVE IDAHO SUPREME COURT JUSTICES
AND, ALSO THE FEDERAL COURTS
HAVE TOLD YOU AS MUCH
UNANIMOUSLY
WITH NO DISSENTIONS

I SUGGEST YOU FOLLOW (NOW) HAILEY CITY LAW
AND MAKE BUSTING MEDICAL CANNABIS USING CANCER VICTIMS
LIKE MY BROTHER
YER LOWEST PRIORITY
THUS SAVING MONEY ON JAIL FOOD
AND MORE IDIOT COURT CASES

IN ‘04 THE MAYOR OF KETCHUM TOLD US TO OUR FACES
THAT HE PAID SOMEONE TO ROLL JOINTS FOR HIS RELATIVE WHO HAD CANCER
THEN
ONE MINUTE LATER
HE WENT AND VOTED TO LET MY SCUMMY, WORTHLESS BROTHER JUST DIE
SO
NOW IT’S PERSONAL
AND WHO DO YOU IMAGINE YER DEALING WITH?
AN AMERICAN CITIZEN
WHO IS NOW PISSED
YOUR WORST NIGHTMARE

JUDGE LG (ELGEE)
AND ALL OF YOU
HASSLED US ILLEGALLY EVERY STEP OF THE WAY

HE TOLD US, TWO DAYS AGO
(WHEN WE HAPPENED TO SEE HIM AT ATKINSONS GROCERY STORE)
THAT HE ATE DINNER, THE OTHER DAY, WITH THE SUPREME COURT JUDGE WHO WROTE THE OPINION ON OUR CASE
AND THAT JUDGE ASKED HIM:
“HOW DID YOU LIKE US SLAPPING YOU AROUND, AND OVERTURNING 150 YEARS OF PRECEDENT?”

I ASK YOU THE SAME

FOR MY BLESSED BROTHER ALONE
THIS IS PERSONAL NOW
AND TO ME
THE CUT OF ALL YER JIBS
HAS AN ILL FAVORED LOOK

DO NOT FORCE US TO TAUNT YOU A SECOND TIME

ROY SANDEFUR Says:

November 9th, 2007 at 8:42 am
just for the record
ryan and robert have never smoked pot
i used to when i was a kid
but now i don’t

and the movie with tommy lee jones
was THE FUGITIVE

the whole point was WE CAN MAKE THE LAWS!

ROY SANDEFUR Says:

November 9th, 2007 at 8:53 am
also for the record
a guy named joe
who was never affiliated with the liberty lobby
posted some of his own fliers on cars outside the polls
and
when we saw them
we removed all those that were left
and called him and told him to never do that again
WE were not in violation of the election laws
the town council was!

and the supreme court of idaho
and the federal courts
have agreed with us

none of us use pot
we are LIBERTARIANS!

and we MADE OUR POINT
thank you, Hailey voters
for standing up for us all

Arne P. Ryason Says:

November 9th, 2007 at 11:31 am
Now go after state and federal law. Step one: The law requiring the purchase of drug tax stamps is unconstitutional. Requiring someone to purchase a tax stamp for an illegal activity amounts to self-incrimination, a violation of the 5th Amendment of the Constitution. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leary_v._United_States . In 1969, Leary (Timothy Leary) v. United States, the Supreme Court unanimously struck down the Marihuana Tax Act of 1937.

Someone needs to inform the Heurings and their legal council of this. They were busted on the day the cannabis initiatives passed. They shouldn’t have been in this business. Prohibition makes it more profitable than a “real job.”

If that law was unconstitutional, then the definition of cannabis as “Marihuana” or “Marijuana” or “Mariguana” might be unconstitutional. Time to pick it apart, one splinter at a time. Soon, the rotten legs that support the foundations of prohibition will crumble.

Let’s stop calling it “weed,” “pot” and “marijuana.” All are slang terms. Let’s call it cannabis (Latin) or hemp (English).

“There can be no good reason for using the term marihuana, which is purely a localized term of Mexican (Indian) origin, and has no more general significance and is no more universally recognized than ‘bhang,’ ‘hashish’ and similar local terms.” _Statement of Matt Rens, Rens Hemp Co., Brandon, Wisconsin, Hearings, Marihuana Tax Act, HR 6906, 12 July 1937.

Maybe the DEA can testify against itself:

“There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the US, and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos, and entertainers. Their Satanic music, jazz, and swing, result from marijuana use. This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers, and any others.”

“…the primary reason to outlaw marijuana is its effect on the degenerate races.”

“Marijuana is an addictive drug which produces in its users insanity, criminality, and death.”

“Reefer makes darkies think they’re as good as white men.”

“Marihuana leads to pacifism and communist brainwashing”

“You smoke a joint and you’re likely to kill your brother.”

“Marijuana is the most violence-causing drug in the history of mankind.”

All are quotes from Harry Anslinger, the founding Director of the Federal Bureau of Narcotics, now called the Drug Enforcement Administration. He was forced to resign by President Kennedy for using this type of “colorful” language on official FBN documents.

The FBN was founded in 1932, just as alcohol prohibition was on death’s doorstep. Those prohibition cops needed a new reason to arrest people so they could stay employed. Cannabis was the perfect candidate.

Dave Enright Says:

November 9th, 2007 at 11:55 am
Roy,
Thanks for clearing up the issue about the bulletins, I knew the person that was putting them on the cars and was fairly certain that he was not working with you all.

JBanholzer Says:

November 9th, 2007 at 12:29 pm
Arne,

Here is an interesting video of another sandbagging attempt of Timothy Leary:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT31oB2vspw

I’m interested in what you think about this interview.

I thought Leary did well, but that he might have sounded better over the radio vs. TV – kind of like the old Nixon-Kennedy debates and the perceptions thereof.

-Jim

AM Says:

November 9th, 2007 at 12:36 pm
Greg,
I don’t want to be a pedantic jerk and sideline the main issue of the blog, but, no–it is Magna Carta. I don’t think there was an original ‘h’ so to speak, although I might be wrong about that. The best online source I can immediately find is wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magna_Carta

Greg Farber Says:

November 9th, 2007 at 1:57 pm
Am

Thats alright my friend let me help you out, Blacks Law Dictionary, P. 951 Magna Carta, P. 952 Magna Charta; Magna Charta and the charter of the forest are called the ” two great charters”.

Bouvier’s 1854 p. 2061 Magna Carta, Magna Charta. of course in the Bouvier’s the description itself is about 2500 words, thus I will refrain from posting it, but you are more than welcome to come over and read it kind sir/madame. thanks have a great weekend.

Roy David Sandefur Says:

November 9th, 2007 at 2:02 pm
YES!
we should always use the term CANNABIS

“marijuana” did not save my brother’s life from cancer
CANNABIS oil
and ALMIGHTY GOD
did

the doctors
(and the mayor of Ketchum)
told him to go die

I said NAY!
and prayed for him
and sent him a few gallons of CANNABIS oil

now he has been cancer free for two years
BLESS GOD!

Greg Farber Says:

November 9th, 2007 at 2:02 pm
Roy, I think your cool. ha ha ha ha ha ha, I think we all will need to be bullet proof soon.

Roy David Sandefur Says:

November 9th, 2007 at 2:05 pm
if they kill mke
they do me a favor
BLESS GOD!

Arne P. Ryason Says:

November 9th, 2007 at 2:14 pm
Jim - I just watched the Leary interview. Interesting. When Leary first did his studies with LSD he emphasized “set and setting” - a controlled environment. He worked with prisoners and was able to re-program them while under the influence of psychedelic drugs and made a significant dent in recidivism rates. The results were disputed, however. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_Leary . The Wikipedia entry has a fascinating account of his life.

LSD is a dangerous drug, in my opinion. If you have the least doubt about your place in the world or your sanity, the stuff will push you over the edge. It’s amazing what such a tiny amount of a chemical can do. The line between sanity and insanity is very fine, indeed.

There are also those that believe Dr. Leary was part of the CIA mind control experiments conducted under project MK-ULTRA and other similar programs. He was not a “hero,” in my opinion.

I just think it is interesting that one of his many cannabis busts resulted in the Supreme Court nullifying the 1937 Marihuana Tax Act. To me it does not really matter who did it, just that it was done. You can’t require someone to incriminate themselves. For example, what if we were to require burglars to purchase a tax stamp to be left at the scene of the crime to show that the burglar had paid a tax for stealing from someone? Equally absurd. Requiring a criminal to pay a tax for a crime, to me, indicates that the state somehow approves of the crime. After all, if we didn’t have drug crimes, narcotics officers would be out of work. They would have to be re-trained to council and help drug abusers, not just throw them in jail. That would require throwing out the machismo instinct and replacing it with compassion, which might be difficult for some people.

Greg Farber Says:

November 9th, 2007 at 2:25 pm
Keep in mind folks the CIA, FBI, British SIS can and do edit Wikipedia. also the Vatican recently did so as well. it can not be trusted, and I in fact never use it.

Roy David Sandefur Says:

November 9th, 2007 at 2:49 pm
historical note:

in an interview in HIGH TIMES MAGAZINE
Harry Anslinger was asked if the drug war was not indeed just a case of the prohibition bureaucracy trying to keep their jobs
and he admitted it!

I read it with my own eyes
but that was years ago
when I used to smoke CANNABIS
so I don’t remember what year that was

seriouisly, kids
don’t smoke that stuff!
it just makes you feel different
not better
I think THC was designed to make deer forget where the patch was

Arne P. Ryason Says:

November 9th, 2007 at 3:14 pm
“Kids,” if you want to get “high,” climb a mountain. Seriously. The endorphins produced from strenuous exercise are similar to opiates such as heroin. The natural high is the best one around.

JBanholzer Says:

November 9th, 2007 at 3:14 pm
Arne,

I found the Timothy Leary Wikipedia entry to be worthwhile reading.

For instance:

“In 1965, Leary commented that he “learned more about… (his) brain and its possibilities… (and) more about psychology in the five hours after taking these mushrooms than… (he) had in the preceding fifteen years of studying doing [sic] research in psychology.” (Ram Dass Fierce Grace, 2001, Zeitgeist Video).”

It is wise to keep in mind as Greg Farber reminds us, just who are some of the forces that are behind many Wikipedia edits -especially in an article about such a controversial figure as Timothy Leary. Therefore, it’s refreshing to see that Caltech graduate student Virgil Griffith has built a search tool that gives up a healthy glimpse into who is editing what, by tracing IP addresses of those who make Wikipedia changes.”

http://www.wired.com/politics/onlinerights/news/2007/08/wiki_tracker

Regarding the razor-thin line between sanity and insanity, in the “Guidebook to Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance” there is an interesting passage at the end of DiSanto & Steele’s commentary over Zen Buddhism (page 133): Regarding Robert Pirsig’s catatonic state:

“I put this last question to the author of ZMM. Perhaps before you set aside the Zen packet and the Eastern portion of the backpack you would like to hear his answer. He began on a general level, by talking about the connection between enlightenment and insanity. He didn’t think all insanity was a form of enlightenment or all enlightenment was a form of insanity, but he did think there was an overlap. He made reference to a description of enlightenment in a Zen monastery, contained in Phillip Kapleau’s Three Pillars of Zen, according to which the enlightened ‘sits transfixed, unable to move, as if encased in a block of ice.” Pirsig then pointed out that an unprepared psychiatrist coming upon such a scene “would immediately make diagnosis of catatonia and hospitalize the person found in this state,” whereas the Zen master tries to end the state by snapping his fingers or giving a sharp command that will ease the student out of his unpatterned reality and back into the conventional form of patterned social behavior of the monastery. It is considered a dangerous time.” At that point, in the conversation, I pressed Pirsig a bit about what a Zen master would have done in his own case, the case described in ZMM. Pirsig responded, “It’s impossible to say what a Zen master would or would not do under a given set of circumstances, but I think I would have been a lot happier if one had been around.””

Roy David Sandefur Says:

November 9th, 2007 at 4:01 pm
I’m a Zen Buddhist
and a Christian, also
and some think I’m insane
actually I attained enlightenment
and quit smoking pot
Jesus is known to the buddhists as THE ISSA BUDDHA
and HE enlightens you
not cannabis
smoking pot makes you kinda DORPY!

here’s an ancient buddhist story:
http://forum.dwylbtzle.info/viewtopic.php?t=143
illustrated with picture from Hailey
Blessed Hailey
the tip of the spear
in the belly of the beast
(Idaho)
he heee heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Greg Farber Says:

November 9th, 2007 at 5:14 pm
Have you folks enjoyed Jordan Maxwell ?

www.jordanmaxwell.com

AM Says:

November 9th, 2007 at 6:15 pm
Okay–but if both sources are listing Magna Carta first, then technically that is the prefered spelling. Gee wish I had Black’s Law Dictionary handy. And that’s true, all sorts of people are editing wiki for all sorts of reasons.

Roy David Sandefur Says:

November 9th, 2007 at 6:56 pm
JEsus, this is a weird town!

oh
by the way…
i meant “if they kill ME!”

the k was another typo

i don’t know who mke is
and

dude
when you said i was cool
then you put five or seven ‘ha’s in there

i don’t know, quite how to interpret that

Roy David Sandefur Says:

November 9th, 2007 at 7:06 pm
http://forum.dwylbtzle.info/viewtopic.php?p=4526#4526
here
we’ve been having this discusion
in this place
for years
everyone come join

Greg Farber Says:

November 9th, 2007 at 8:35 pm
Kicking ass on liars and decievers is cool, and always makes me laugh.

Arne P. Ryason Says:

November 9th, 2007 at 10:19 pm
We’ve sort of lost track of the original intent of Brian’s blog entry here. I think it was all about law enforcement officers being a “tool” to enforce the law. Their own individual opinions or sense of justice must be put aside to enforce the statutes put down by legislatures, signed into laws by executives and upheld by judiciary bodies, regardless of whether or not that legislation is or is not actually “moral.”

Here is a the case of a former narcotics officer who decided that the war on cannabis is immoral and unenforceable. He decided to stop being a “tool.” He has used his eight years of experience as a narcotics officer to produce an educational DVD called “Never Get Busted Again.” It has sold at least 10,000 copies so far. He tells viewers how to hide cannabis in a car, how to foil narcotics detector dogs, how to handle a traffic stop, etc. He points out that the cannabis laws are “broken” and need to be eliminated. How can you enforce a law that 42 percent of the American public have broken? There simply isn’t enough prison space. It is the government against the people. Here is someone who has replaced machismo with compassion: http://www.nevergetbusted.com/ . Look at some of the interviews here: http://www.nevergetbusted.com/sneakpreview.php . He has pissed off a bunch of drug warriors but he speaks the truth.

Roy David Sandefur Says:

November 10th, 2007 at 6:36 am
but that was always my favorite scene, in that movie, too
the point stands:
that tommy lee jones was chasing a guy
sentenced to death for killing his wife
who had a gun
he didn’t have time
nor inclination
to discuss the detailed constitutional ramifications of the guy’s trial
or any basis his verdict was arrived at
or anything else
he’s holding a gun on the guy
and the guy’s blabbering he’s innocent…

at this exact moment
HE DOESN’T CARE
and it’s not his job to care

if they give you a way to change a law
then it’s YER JOB
to try and change that law
and that’s what we’re doing
we have now passed a law that “directs the stalwart, overworked municipal authorities to expend LESS energy, and resources
on the prosecution of cannabis violations
than they expend prosecuting fornication, which is ALSO illegal under Idaho law
and very bad for you”
and it’s PESONAL TO ME NOW
like my brother
most people with cancer
(possibly getting chemo-therapy)
can not eat
almost all cancer victims ACTUALLY DIE from starvation

just being sick from the cancer kills yer apetite
and then the chemo makes you so nauseous
you can’t keep anything down
even if you WERE hungry

pot makes you hungry
and stops the nausea
and hemp oil raises yer immunity higher than any known substance
because the vital lipids are in perfect ballance
despite what anyone says
science has NOT come up with any substitute that works as well as pot for doing these things
without cannabis
my brother would have starved
that’s all there is to it

Arne P. Ryason Says:

November 10th, 2007 at 8:30 am
Here’s another one: http://www.fija.org/ . A Jury can ignore a judge’s “instructions” and vote to acquit. After all, the 6th Amendment protects the right to a trial by JURY, not by judge, not by statute. An unjust law can be nullified in this way. More from the FIJA:

‘ The false advice given was that the juror could “get in trouble” if she did not blindly follow the instructions of the judge. What struck me most significantly about the Rosenthal reversal was that the jurors actually did not know their rights and did not know they could not be punished for their deliberations or verdict, and the lawyer one juror called didn’t know the truth either. Yet the jurors should have known, and every lawyer, including all judges, should be telling them about their rights, their authority, and their immunity. ‘
http://www.fija.org/index.php?page=displaytxt&id=162&refer=news

The fully informed jury is the last line of defense available to the accused . Remember, this is a REPUBLIC. In a republic, laws and declarations of rights protect the minority from the majority. In a democracy, every individual is in the minority on some issue or another.

The Liberty Lobby needs to help spread the word on this issue, as well.

Roy David Sandefur Says:

November 10th, 2007 at 9:16 pm
This is true
in the court, the JURY has even higher standing than the judge
they can nullify bad law IN INDIVIDUAL CASES

the law doesn’t become overturned
but they can render a verdict of “NO BILL”
in that individual case
even if they decide the person DID violate that law

and
believe me
no one ever likes to go out of their way to tell them that
but it’s true

on another, previously mentioned, point:
a law that is passed by citizens’ initiative
can be repealed at any time, by the legislature
just like they can repeal any law that they, themselves, originally, passed…

this doesn’t quite seem right to me
but that’s exactly what they did with the term limits thing

THEN you have to VOTE THE BASTARDS OUT!

Greg Farber Says:

November 11th, 2007 at 8:38 am
They just plant in new Bastards still under someones control, sure as hell is not the PEOPLE. It is not a REPUBLIC when the government mindcontroled populance is to busy Idolizing Hollywood Idiots, Sports so-called heros, Fake non-fiction crap like Harry Potter and a lie that this J.K. Rowling wrote it. Teaching false science about everything in schools.

The time has come, no past us, to abandon government schools while doing so is still legal. There are thousands of better options than these government mindcontrol programs, called public schools. Children better be taught to answer to We The People, not they the social engineers. While Dad and Mom are to busy struggling with the job of making ends meet, their children are being brainwashed, thanks to the illuminated John D. Rockefeller who created the General Education Board, in 1902. In its original publications it contained some chilling statements like ” In our dreams we have limitless resources and the people to yield themselves with perfect docility to our molding hands. The present education conventions fade from their minds, and unhampered by tradition, we work our own good will upon a responsive and rural folk”.

Then bring in the known Communist John Dewey and his progressive Education movement and let the Brainwashing of a Nation begin. (1922). The use of government schools as laboratories of social engineering proceeded. We can see all the results all around us, a Significant percentage of public school graduates can not read or write well enough to fill out a job application. They can not make change without machines or do simple arithmetic without calculators. They cannot get Thomas Jefferson in the right country much less describe features of his thought. They cannot walk up to a world map and find Iraq, or even the U.S. and fined say Louisiana. ( look at all the American fools sniffing AJAX up their nose, or better yet CIA supplied Cocain, how dumb can a government school make you.) Hey, they can tell you what Brittany did this morning, they know who won the 1910 World Series, yea baby its all good.

They cannot and will not debate the reality all around them in which they deny, They sling out retarded comments and name calling or just flat ignore the subject as a whole. THIS EDUCATIONAL PROCESS IN AMERICA FOR 100 YEARS HAS CREATED A GROUP GLOBALIST MENTALITY AND HAS ALL BUT DESTROYED INDIVIDUALISM. Lets just think as a group, instead of as Individuals, and by God lets not question those with money and power, lets just dream to be like them. Lets love Autocrats, No let us worship them.

Lets just get on with Global Population Control and the go home and die mind set. These American fools will not get it until D day, then they will see they have failed, then they will scrape the scails from their eyes and take their hands from their ears, but then it will be to late. (OOPS I DID IT AGAIN). any body catch that panties shot, WOW.

Roy David Sandefur Says:

November 11th, 2007 at 9:30 am
one thing we have in our favor:
no-one wants to get voted out

if a citizens’ initiative passes
and then the legislature nixes it
and all who voted to nix it get voted out
next time, they think twice about nixing a citizens’ initiative

“Democracy is a horrible form of Government
But it’s better than all the others”
-Winston Churchill

when we didn’t know if anything would pass
I was telling myself that
even if nothing did pass
at least we made it so no mere town council could stop anyone from flying a citizens’ initiative

but, I gotta admit….
after three years
it sure was nice to get even ONE victory
and THREE was fabulous!
it STILL hasn’t totally hit me

no-one ever thought this, alone, would really make pot legal
but a judge has to strike it down AFTER the ballot initiative PASSES

now–thanks to us,
no one can stop an initiative just because they don’t like the contents of it
BEFORE IT’S EVEN VOTED ON!
EVEN if it’s illegal at the state or federal level

we truly made jurisprudence history
for the whole nation

the whole idea was to allow the people to speak out about laws that are counterproductive
or just plain stupid

Last edited by Dwylbtzle on Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dwylbtzle

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's an article in another paper
the WOOD RIVER JOURNAL
from a while back
unable to copy it
that function disabled

so here's the link:

http://www.woodriverjournal.com/articles/2007/09/25/news/local_news/pstory.txt

Dwylbtzle

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've thought of someday writing about all the weird crap we went thru, for the last three years

if I wanted to include all the boring, (to most people), legal stuff, it would be a damn book!
probably 12 freakin' volumes! Mad
Rolling Eyes
but, maybe, I'll just condense it to, mostly, just the interesting, or the funny, events,
and make it a humorous short story Laughing

Dwylbtzle

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does high times magazine still exist?
maybe THEY would print it
they're a comedy magazine Laughing Razz

actually...they're sorta a porno magazine

have you seen those centerfolds? Confused
the reproductive organs of a damn plant Rolling Eyes Mad Question

hey--someone's sexual alignment is no libertarian's business Cool Laughing

Spirit Catcher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That High Times mag was funny I haven't
seen any in stores. But then I wasn't
really looking for it. I would like to see new
issues of it. Maybe I'll check the next time
I go. Cool Wink
American Pig

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations DW! Federalism in all it's glory. Decentralized decision making. Local legislation reflecting local mores, yet within the enumerated parameters of the constitution. I think this is a realistic way to get the feds off peoples' backs regarding pot. The reality is that if local authorities make dope a low priority the feds can't practically enforce the laws, thereby effectively allowing such laws to exist.

I think I'll go burn one and celibrate. Cool
Dwylbtzle

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

right
it was all just to make a point
to get the peoples' voice out there
that's why it's bigger than just pot
it's impossible to do anything on the federal level
people have tried
so
we figured we get to allow everyone to voice their opinion at the local level

but the town councils tried to nix it, at their level
before the initiative even got on the ballot
and that's what the supreme court
and the federal courts said was unconstitutional

THE TOWN BLEEDIN' COUNCIL ISN'T AT ANY LEVEL
WHEN IT COMES TO A CITIZENS' INITIATIVE

THEY ARE NOT THE GATEKEEPERS OF THE INITIATIVE PROCESS
Evil or Very Mad
and
after three years of fighting
they had to let us do the initiatives
and we won three out of four
if we'd lost all four it woulda still been making a point
but woulda been kinda anti-climactic
to say the least

after all that Mad Laughing Laughing Laughing

Dwylbtzle

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MY FRIEND, RYAN, WAS ALL SET TO JUST KEEP FLYING THE INITITIVES OVER AND OVER
IN HAILEY
IF WE LOST

I GUESS, JUST FOR THE "FUCK YOU" FACTOR Rolling Eyes Confused

BUT I TOLD HIM THAT COULD, QUITE POSSIBLY, BE US JUST BANGING
OUR HEADS AGAINST THE DEFEAT WALL, OVER AND OVER,
AND I SAW NO POINT IN THAT

IF WE'D LOST IN HAILEY
I WOULD HAVE WANTED TO GO TRY IN KETCHUM
BECAUSE OUR PHONE POLLING
THREE YEARS AGO
SHOWED KETCHUM AS BEING THE MOST POSITIVE CITY IN THE SUN VALLEY AREA
ESPECIALLY FOR MEDICAL USE AND LOWEST POLICE PRIORITY

NOW THAT WE WON IN HAILEY, WE ARE DEFINATELY GONNA DO KETCHUM NEXT

(THERE ARE, BASICALLY, FOUR LITTLE TOWNS:
BELLEVUE--THEN THREE MILES NORTH IS HAILEY
THEN FOURTEEN MILES FARTHER NORTH IS KETCHUM
THAT'S WEHERE THE MAIN FAMOUS SKI HILL IS
THEN, ONE MILE EAST OF KETCHUM, IS THE TOWN OF SUN VALLEY
IT'S VERY VERY SMALL
JUST THE LODGE AND SOME RICH PEOPLE'S HOUSES OFF IN THE HILLS)
THE WHOLE AREA IS CALLED "SUN VALLEY"
BUT, BASICALLY-WHENEVER ANYONE SAYS THEY ARE "GOING SKIING IN SUN VALLEY"-
THEY ACTUALLY MEAN THEY ARE GOING SKIING ON THE BIG HILL IN KETCHUM

IT'S NOT THE MOST INTENSE SKI HILL ON EARTH--BUT IT GOT KNOWN AS THE PLACE FOR THE RICH ELITE-
-BECAUSE THE WHOLE PLACE IS WAY OUT OF THE WAY
HARD TO GET TO
AND, THEREFORE, SEEMS MORE EXCLUSIVE
(SNOB FACTOR) Confused
THE LITTLE AIRPORT, IN HAILEY, IS THE SECOND BUSIEST AIRFIELD IN IDAHO
(BEHIND BOISE)
BECAUSE, IF YOU DON'T COME IN BY PLANE,
YOU HAVE TO DRIVE THREE HOURS FROM BOISE

MOVIE STARS AND BILLIONAIRES LIKE TO COME HERE
AND BUY HOUSES IN THE HILLS
TO BE LEFT ALONE, AND BE OFF IN SOME REMOTE LITTLE IDAHO TOWN
TO RAISE THEIR KIDS

PEOPLE LIKE JACK KENNEDY LIKED TO COME HERE BECAUSE IT'S
REMOTE AND EXCLUSIVE AND NEVER SWAMPED WITH SKI TOURISTS
AS MUCH AS A LOT OF OTHER PLACES

I MOVED TO BELLEVUE, THREE YEARS AGO--BUT AFTER THE ONE-YEAR LEASE, ON MY HOUSE, RAN OUT, I MOVED TO HAILEY
THAT'S WHERE BRUCE WILLIS AND DEMI MOORE, AND ASHTON KUTCHER LIVE
AND THAT'S WHERE EZRA POUND WAS BORN

JOHN KERRY AND CLINT EASTWOOD AND BATMAN AND THE GREEN HORNET AND STEVE MILLER AND TOM HANKS AND ARNOLD SHWARTZENEGGER LIVE IN THE HILLS AROUND KETCHUM
AND THAT'S WHERE ERNEST HEMINGWAY
AND MARGEAUX AND MURIEL HEMINGWAY
LIVED

THE DUPONT FAMILY
AND OTHER TOTAL BILLIONAIRES
LIVE IN SUN VALLEY, PROPER

ACCORDING TO OUR PHONE POLLING
SUN VALLEY IS THE LEAST POSITIVE
AS FAR AS POT LAWS GO
THERE ARE ONLY ABOUT 800 REGISTERED VOTERS IN SUN VALLEY (THE TOWN)
AND THEY ARE SO RICH
THEY ARE NEVER THERE Laughing

Dwylbtzle

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mtexpress.com/index2.php?ID=2005118027

more articles

Friday, November 16, 2007

Davis not pleased with pot initiatives

Mayor-elect cites abuse of medical marijuana use elsewhere

By TERRY SMITH
Express Staff Writer

The people have spoken, but mayor-elect Rick Davis thinks the passage earlier this month of marijuana reform initiatives will harm the city of Hailey.

"We definitely got national attention, but is that the kind of attention that is going to draw new business here? I don't think so," said Davis, a 16-year City Council veteran elected Hailey's mayor on Nov. 6.

Hailey voters approved three marijuana reform initiatives on election day: one to legalize medical use of marijuana, another to legalize industrial use of hemp and a third that would make enforcement of marijuana laws the city's lowest police priority.

The electorate voted down a fourth initiative that would have required the city to tax and regulate sales and use of marijuana and that may have paved the way for full legalization of the drug.

Davis said he especially objects to the medical marijuana issue.

"I guess what I think about it is what I have seen in other communities that have passed medical marijuana initiatives—that it is heavily, heavily abused by those who use if for other than medical purposes. I think it's dangerous."

The approved initiatives are not the law yet in the Hailey. In fact, the initiatives specify that a Community Oversight Committee be formed to hammer out the details of implementation.

City officials are drafting a statement that will outline how the city will deal with the matter.

City Clerk Heather Dawson said the statement is still being reviewed by City Attorney Ned Williamson and likely won't be available until next week.

"There are some options that are being investigated," said Davis. "I'm not an liberty to go into them now and we'll just have to see how it works out. It's a very, very complex issue and there are a lot of issues that haven't yet come to light that show the negative ramifications."

Davis said he expects the initiatives to be costly for the city.

"There's going to be litigation and the citizens of Hailey are going to have to pay for it one way or another," he said. "It's still illegal federally and statewide and I just don't know how it's going to shake out."

print version email

Leave a Comment

There are 14 comments

The comments below are from the readers of mtexpress.com and in no way represent the views of Express Publishing Inc.

Mike Crabtree 11/16/07 - 08:56
Looks like we got to get us a new mayor who listens to the will of the people and not his own opinions...

Charlie Sisco 11/16/07 - 09:17
Am I the only one that new something like this was coming. This is a democracy where elected officials work FOR the people, remember?

THC 11/16/07 - 10:50
Sounds like the dinosaurs are trying to think again. That's what got us all into this mess with prohibition. It is a touchy situation, and don't think that the first person to sell medical marijuana won't be arrested. The feds will be watching. I say to Davis- have a puff, go see a band play and eat a good meal in one of Hailey's great restaraunts. That'll cure your thinking.
Fight the Power!

Don B. 11/16/07 - 12:52
Right on mayor, the law is the law. Maybe some of those people need to move to Frisco.

Hailey Voter 11/16/07 - 15:43
I hope to refresh Mr. Davis's memory - Erin Dunn got a lot of votes. This was not a landslide victory. Considering how long Davis has been around and involved in politics and Dunn's local-guy-but-newcomer-to-politics status, it appears there are a lot of people who would have a firm opinion about their vote. And the marijuana initiatives DID pass.

J B 11/16/07 - 20:25
I'd like to know what communities Rick has surveyed. Has he read the April 17, 2007 article in Health Day about the newest research done at Harvard and Columbia University about marijuana's ability to cut tumor growth in half in lung cancer and impede its' growth . It was presented by the American Assoc. for Cancer Research - and commented on by Norman Edelman chief medical officer of the American Lung Assoc. Conclusion: People that smoke 5-10 joints a day for 15-25 years have less incidence of lung cancer than people that don't smoke anything at all!!! This is just 1 article of 100's that point to the positive medical effects of pot. Has he visited Amsterdam? Way less crime and drug abuse per capita than little Hailey. As far as the litigation costing the citizens' money - He's helping to lengthen the litigation. And even so, maybe we could use all the money generated from the DUI/speedtrap arrests going on in this valley for years. Do some research. Educate yourself. And God forbid someone close to you needs chemo relief or gets diagnosed with multiple sclerosis or a host of other ailments that pot can help.

JD 11/17/07 - 11:28
I agree with mike, i thought rick davis would be a good fit. apparently, he still needs to pander to the older crowd. dont see to many people stealin ho-hos, however i wonder if all the crime and stealing might have something to do with haileys meth problem. might be something better to concentrate on.

Arne P. Ryason 11/17/07 - 12:09
Prescription drugs kill more people than all illegal drugs combined. If Mayor Davis is worried about potential abuse of medical cannabis, he should be more worried about people "borrowing" friends' prescriptions for Ritalin, Oxycontin, etc. which I'm guessing goes on quite a bit. Cannabis is only dangerous to the drug companies as it would reduce demand for their poison. As for the local cannabis issues, the People have spoken. Learn to live with it. I've been told a lot of prominent people use it here - in the closet, so to speak.

Informed Citizen – Hailey, ID 11/17/07 - 13:09
I think Rick Davis has the best intentions and will make a good Mayor for the City of Hailey. However, he is unfortunately not well-informed on the subject of medicinal marijuana. Although there may very well be a few who abuse legalization as he mentioned, what stops them from abusing it now? Certainly not the law. Prohibition didn't work with alcohol and the war on drugs certainly isn't working on marijuana now. The plethora of humane benefits of medicinal marijuana far outweigh any negative, and I would much rather see our taxpayer money going toward the policing of the real criminals in our fine city.

The people have spoken and our local politicians need to accept and respect that over their personal biases and ideology. I certainly hope Rick is not pandering to uninformed, backwards thinking people in our local government. I would suggest that he study up on the subject before writing another article such as this one.

mark 11/19/07 - 08:48
Congratulations on passing SANE marijuana laws in your city. Good luck reforming the law in your state. I live in Arcata California , where we have had LEGAL medical access to medical cannabis for 7 years, and our town is running wonderfully. We currently have 4 Medical cannabis dispensaries in town, and they are some of the largest contributors to out sales tax base. The medical cannabis dispensaries here ALL pay sales tax, plus they purchase extra cannabis from medical patients that grow marijuana, and those people pay state and federal income taxes.

Again congratulations on passing sane policy for once. Good luck passing the regulate and tax portion next time around...it would be a BOON for your local economy.

"I guess what I think about it is what I have seen in other communities that have passed medical marijuana initiatives—that it is heavily, heavily abused by those who use if for other than medical purposes. I think it's dangerous."
-mayor-elect Rick Davis-

When you go to medical school , pass , do a residency, and an internship, then you can say WHO is misusing what, until then mr. mayor....leave it to the DOCTORS.

You Have The Right To Decide 11/19/07 - 10:55
For those who wish to do more research on their own, some helpful links:

www.mpp.org
en.wikipedia.org
en.wikipedia.org
www.oaksterdamnews.com
reason.tv
www.youtube.com

Karl Stopper 11/22/07 - 21:07
Time to move on, Rick Davis. Have you considered communist China? When you ignore the will of the voters, you're a has been, self-serving politician. So long.

Reply to Karl Stopper
THC 11/23/07 - 11:29
AMEN!

roy sandefur – hailey idaho 11/24/07 - 01:42
Cancer is dangerous
Ask my brother
He almost starved to death
Cannabis helped him
Thanks, Hailey voters!

Dwylbtzle

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mtexpress.com/index2.php?ID=2005117967
Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Kudos to ‘grass roots’ movement

By DICK DORWORTH

It was a "grass roots" movement in the right direction (up) last week when the small Idaho city of Hailey passed three out of four pro-marijuana initiatives that were on the ballot. Hailey citizens have thereby chosen to help bring some sanity into the drug laws of America and into the lives of the people impacted by them, starting at home.

They voted to legalize the medical use of marijuana, to make enforcement of marijuana laws the lowest priority and to legalize industrial uses of hemp within the city. Unfortunately, an initiative to regulate and tax marijuana sales and establish a Community Oversight Committee did not receive enough votes. Marijuana is not going to go away, and having the elected government of the community tax and regulate it is a far better system for society than the one in place.

Well, these things take time. It's only been a bit more than 70 years since Prohibition failed for the same reasons the war on drugs will fail, has failed and is failing.

Bravo, citizens of Hailey. May the communities of America catch up with you as soon as possible. May the state and federal governments learn (re-learn?) what they learned (or not) more than 70 years ago when the 18th Amendment to the Constitution and prohibition of the sale and consumption and possession of alcohol to drink was repealed.

Not likely that the country will catch up to Hailey (and a few other communities), some will say.

Not in my lifetime, say many.

Over my dead body, say a few.

Eventually, the sooner the better, say others, including a majority of the voters of Hailey.

Good for them.

A lot of the drug laws of America are absurd, none more so than the ones covering marijuana, and not only because they don't work. Marijuana is far less destructive than alcohol, which inspired the 18th Amendment.

Prohibition failed, as anyone with the slightest common sense could have predicted. Prohibition ensured that a few people, some of them not very good people, made a great deal of money; and too many people, most of them good people, had their lives destroyed by the law, not the drug. As a drug, alcohol destroys all too many lives with an incalculable physical, emotional, mental, social, economic and ecological cost to the world, but that is a different story. The destruction it causes cannot be legislated away, as the country came to recognize in 1933.

1933!

The court, jail, police, probation and legislative resources being used up to no good end in pursuit and punishment of marijuana criminals are enormous. Those resources could be and should be devoted to more significant criminals whose activities do far more damage to society than those whose crime is smoking (and, sometimes, baking) a weed. The toll on the lives and productivity of people convicted of using a substance that is less damaging, both personally and socially, than the legal-to-use alcohol (or, for that matter, nicotine, which kills even more people than alcohol) is beyond measure. It is the law, not the drug, that takes the toll; and, as in the days of prohibition, the law rewards a few, some of them very bad people, who get enormously wealthy breaking that law, and damages the lives of many others, most of them quite good people.

Marijuana for medical purposes is a no-brainer, even for teetotalers, prohibitionists and others of like mind except perhaps for those who do not mind or are not aware of the pain that others bear and that marijuana relieves, cheaply, safely and reliably. Marijuana has proved to be the best relief for many medical conditions, including but far from limited to the nausea that accompanies chemotherapy.

Hemp is grown and used in a variety of products in virtually every country in the world except the United States, giving "Only in America" another of several current embarrassing connotations. Hemp is used to make clothing, fabric, twine, rope, bags, paper and many other useful products, only not in America.

The Office of the National Drug Control Policy describes marijuana thus: "Short-term effects of marijuana use include problems with memory and learning, distorted perception, difficulty in thinking and problem solving, loss of coordination, increased heart rate, and anxiety." In this context, it is beyond funny that this office is run out of the Executive Office of the President of the United States, but it makes one wonder what those who make the marijuana laws of America have been smoking. Whatever it is, they would do well to pay attention to the clear-minded, problem-solving democratic voters of Hailey, Idaho.

print version email

Leave a Comment

There are 12 comments

tippy 11/15/07 - 06:50
hooray for hailey! now only if the rest of idaho can get their shit together.i'm moving to hailey.

CMAN 11/15/07 - 07:32
It is about time that the American people woke up and pulled their heads out of their asses. It is amazing how many people over 35, who should have a clue but don't. I applaud the citizens of this community for doing the right thing in gods eyes, and for America. If people knew that America was founded on hemp they would all do what this city did. God bless you for fighting the good fight! Save America and save the planet vote HEMP!

Victoria Lansford – Blackfoot 11/15/07 - 09:57
I have been a advocate for Cannabis, for the sick & dying for over 7 years now.I was put by my Doctors on hard pain meds. morphine, oxycotons and the like, THEY DONT WORK, I had no qulity of life while on those pain meds. I found that after getting your right doseing on the Cannabis, I live a Pain free life, The only side effect of the Cannabis, Is Fear of going to jail, if cought with it.I will keep up this Great Fight , that our Goverment should not be the ones Who tell us What Meds We Can use when were sick.Keep up this GREAT WORK, there are so many of us who need this Great Med. Victoria

Arne P. Ryason 11/15/07 - 21:22
It won't be legalized as long as there is money to be made cutting down trees for paper, selling the associated chemicals and other things that cannabis would compete against. Alcohol was re-legalized only after motor vehicles standardized on gasoline as a fuel. For the whole story start here: www.jackherer.com . We still have the best politicians money can buy. This must change if cannabis is to be re-legalized for its many uses.

Step one: stop buying or even picking up free newspapers! I read this one exclusively online. They should be printed on hemp paper. Hemp produces 4.1 times the cellulose, per acre, that trees produce and you only need 14 percent of the chemistry. Junk mail and other petrochemically enhanced tree paper products are the 4th largest cause of "greenhouse" gases. That's just the tip of the iceberg.

Don B. 11/16/07 - 12:20
Thank you Timothy Leary! Now all one has to do is to create a medical ache or pain and then go get high. I've seen the results of marijuana on people I've known and it's not pretty.

Reply to Don B.
THC 11/19/07 - 10:30
Really Don? What "results" have you seen that didn't have to do with whoever your speaking of's own will. The marijuana is not the problem, it's the bad choices some people make that they can't deal with- therefore they blame the "evil weed" for their problems. It's like Bill Cosby once said about drugs- "It enhances your personality- but what if you're an a-hole?" Or an idiot Don. Don't blame a plant for people being stupid.

Informed Citizen – Hailey, ID 11/17/07 - 14:18
Now, this was written by someone who has taken the time to study the subject. What a great article fraught with logic and reason!

mark 11/19/07 - 08:43
Congratulations on passing SANE marijuana laws in your city. Good luck reforming the law in your state. I live in Arcata California , where we have had LEGAL medical access to medical cannabis for 7 years, and our town is running wonderfully. We currently have 4 Medical cannabis dispensaries in town, and they are some of the largest contributors to out sales tax base. The medical cannabis dispensaries here ALL pay sales tax, plus they purchase extra cannabis from medical patients that grow marijuana, and those people pay state and federal income taxes.

Again congratulations on passing sane policy for once. Good luck passing the regulate and tax portion next time around...it would be a BOON for your local economy.

Don B. – Parkdale, Or. 11/21/07 - 12:34
To THC...... Please let me tell you a story about a friend that had a fine family, a home, and a great job. He gave into peer pressure and tried marijuana. Soon that's all he wanted, later his mind just couldn't function. The results were this, he lost his job, his family, and was last seen hitching his way out of town. Now you might blame the personality if you want, but as far as I could see, it was the drugs.

Reply to Don B.
Karl Stopper 11/22/07 - 21:18
To Don B...... Please let me tell you a story about a friend that had a fine family, a home, and a great job. He gave into peer and family pressure and tried alcohol. Soon that's all he wanted, later his mind just couldn't function. The results were this, he lost his job, his family, and was last seen hitching his way out of town. Now you might blame the personality if you want, but as far as I could see, it was the alcohol.

Put down that martini!

Reply to Don B.
THC 11/23/07 - 11:27
Don-
Neat story. Sounds like someone wasn't happy with his situation and needed an escape and an excuse. Drugs: perfect excuse- "everyone will understand and even possibly feel sorry for me and that it's the drugs and not my lack of ambition and unhappiness that broke up my family."
Sounds like another person not being accountable for his actions.
Sorry Don- I'm not sold.
So I'll keep loving my wife and kids, having a great career, living in this paradise and take a bong hit for your buddy.

roy sandefur – hailey idaho 11/24/07 - 02:00
Alcohol ruined my parents
I'm bitter
Cannabis saved my brother's life
I'm grateful to GOD for it
Several city officials and judges violated ALL THE PEOPLE'S constitutional rights
In three cities
(Till The Idaho Supreme Court set them straight)
THAT's dangerous
VOTERS are dangerous
way to go voters
(he heee heeeeeeeeeee!)
oh--it's personal

-Roy Sandefur
Idaho Liberty Lobby

Last edited by Dwylbtzle on Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.dwylbtzle.info Forum Index -> Everything Else All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: